Saturday, February 21, 2009

B's granny Chocolate-O-Durian mousse cake

Hey people.. I backed to share with you guys a cake I bake 1 yr ago.. (I didn't have a blog back then).

Baked this cake for B's grandma.. It's her 70yr old birthday.. To the chinese, its considered as quite a big event.. I mean I feel quite embarress to bring out or present this cake.. I mean.. look at the decoration.. So...


The above is the actual cake for B's grandma and it weights about 1.5kg - 2kg.. I know look wises is really ugly and not good enough as bday cake.. *Slap self hard hard*

It was my really really maiden attempt at using whip cream to decorate the cake.. Just simply add mix in pink colouring and green colouring..

Sigh, my piping is really CMI (cannot make it) *slap triple hard again*


I'm like that, if I were to bake a cake for a major event, I'll trial trial to make one for family consumption and to ask them for comments..the picture above is for family consumption..

The blackish thing in between the cake is actually a failed chocolate mousse.. Hehe.. But the durian mousse makes up for the bad ganache failure.. Durian mousse is smooth and bursting with durian flavor.. YUM!

Thank god the 2nd attempt of this cake is a much better attemp.. The chocolate mousse is much much more better, not runny and its smooth. I was so happy that day that I actually assembled the cake w/o much hiccups.. =)

I adopted the recipe from Aunty Yochana's blog.

Choco-O-Durian Mousse Cake

Ingredients

Durian sponge
4 Eggs
250g optima flour
1 tsp ovalette
70g water
1 tsp durian paste
drops of green colouring
70ml corn oil (to be added last)

  1. Beat the above ingredients together till thick and fluffy (approx 10mins).
  2. Fold in corn oil and pour into a 9" round tin.
  3. Bake at 175C for about 45mins or till cooked.
  4. Turn cake onto a wire rack and leave it to cool.

Chocolate Mousse
100g good quality chocolate, chopped and melted
200g whip cream, whipped till stiff
20g rum

  1. Whip cream till stiff, fold in melted chocolate and rum.

Durian Mousse
2 egg yolks
50g sugar
250g durian flesh
75ml milk
200g whipping cream, whipped
10g gelatin powder
3 tbsp water

  1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl over simmering water until puffy, stir in durian flesh and cook for a while to warm it up.
  2. Soak gelatin powder with water and let it bloom. Microwave for a while until gelatin melts and add into durian flesh mixture. Stir till well combined.
  3. Add in milk and stir thoroughly.
  4. Gently fold in whipped cream making sure its mixed thoroughly.

Assemble

  1. Spread chocolate mousse on top of a slice of cake, and them top up with the other layer of sponge cake.
  2. Pour the durian mousse onto the sponge and level it. Top the cake with the last piece of sponge. Chill cake till set.
  3. Cream the whole cake with cream and decorate as desired.

Note: I triple the whole recipe. The cake pan I bought is very big, so the first batch of cake batter I pour in just nice for a layer. Which means I bake the cake layer by layer for 3 times.


Comments were good! Those who tried my cake said that its very nice! And this made me so happy!


I myself find that the cake is very nice too! Maybe its because I'm a ultimate durian fan.. Hehe!


Do try this cake!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, if you are keen in buying a KitchenAid stand mixer, you can get it now at $569 at the Mayer roadshow which is ending today! I bought 1 metallic blue set at $569 today! Go to www.mayer.com.sg for the address.

Cookie said...

A gift from the heart matters more than the aesthetic appearance. I am sure your granny was appreciative, ya?

Carrie said...

Hi Cookie,

Yeah, I think she love the cake.. Cos she commented that it was nice!

Hehehe!

Cheerios!

Carrie said...

Hi Anonymous,

Thanks for informing me! I think I'll have to give this offer a miss.. Cos busying mugging for exams! Heheh. THank you anyway!

Cheerios!

Anonymous said...

*sighs happily* I'm loving all the durian you use in your recipes!
Too bad durian is so expensive in Australia :( I think the last one I bought cost $15 !

Oh and I was wondering if you use pandan paste as your 'green food colouring'? Coz your cake looks like pandan sponge (yum!)

Carrie said...

Hi Grace,

Nope, I just use green food colouring.. else the cake would look so plain as both plain sponge cake and durian filling looks almost the same. =)

OMG, 15bucks? Thats really expensive! I think I can use that money to get 5 durians!

Cheerios!

Olivia said...

Hi carrie

A combination of durian and chocolate must be really exotic. I am sure your grandma must be so proud of this cake especially if it was done by you. Personal touch :)

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Cheers
Olivia

Carrie said...

Hi Olivia,

Yeah, the cake taste really good.. I've tried a durian and choco combi b4, it's frm Jim's Deli, it's good as well!

Haha.. I assume she likes the cake too.. Hehe


Regards,
carrie