Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Maiden attempt in making bread......

YEAH!! If anyone is beside me right now, he/she cand definitely see me beaming away with joy.. Reason being: my attempt in bread making today is successful!

And yes, I'm really really happy!

Anyone ask me if the kneading process is a tedious one, I'll definitely be the first of all to exclaim "YES"! And what I gain from this process is a basket of freshly baked bread, and some formation of arm muscles! Seriously speaking, I've no idea kneading bread dough can be so so so tough and tiring.. BUT, I enjoy every bit of it.. =)

Alright, Pictures time!


The batch of bread baking away in the oven.. Someone please remind me that my dough is shaped in a super duper ugly way.. Esp the cinnamon rolls.. After the 2nd proofing, everything literally "un-roll" itself.. =(
Any kind souls out there can provide me some tips on shaping bread?


The "family portrait".. Although my sis, helper and I ate about 2 square buns, and 4 cinnamon roll away b4 taking this picture.


Up close view of the cinnamon rolls.. Lovely right? And I actually prefer this to the cheese ones..

The cinnamon rolls is crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside.. So yeah, I like this combination!


I wrap in some cheddar cheese slices into the big fat round buns, and for the spiral ones are actually sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. However, I suggest it will taste better if it's a cinnamon powder + sugar + butter mixture.. I believe that the taste would be strongly enhanced.

Recipe adapted from florence's blog.

Wonderfully Soft Bread (Sweet bun)

Ingredients

310g bread flour
60g cake flour
40g Nestle CoffeeMate/ Milk powder
115mL skim milk
20g condensed milk
55g castor sugar
3g salt
7g instant yeast
1 egg + 2 egg yolk
40g butter (I use corn oil)


Egg Glaze: 1 egg + 1 tsp water


Methods

  1. Sieve flour mixture into a large mixing.
  2. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add in the rest of the ingredients except butter.
  3. Mix till a dough is formed and knead in the cornoil till you get a smooth dough (I did the membrane test in this step).
  4. Prove dough for 50mins or till double in size.
  5. Divide dough into 12 portion (60g each) and shape it or wrap in the fillings.
  6. Prove the shaped dough for another 50mins or double in size.
  7. Brush with egg glaze and bake at 190C for 15mins or till cooked.

Hmm... Bit of thoughts.. I think bread making is really time consuming.. But nothing can beat home bakes..

And yes, my family enjoyed every single bit of it. Within 1.5hours, the bread are all gone from the tray! I gonna try making different types and flavor of bread!



4 comments:

ganache-ganache said...

Congrats ! To me, taste is more important than looks cos' I'm bad in shaping too ! Home-made bread does taste different from commercial ones right ?

Carrie said...

Hi ganache-ganache,

Yes, totally different! I guess it's because I'm the one that puts in the effort into making it, so it taste really wonderful! Hehe..

But I find that I can knead it further more, cos the bread is soft, but still abit dense.. Nevermind, I'll try again soon!

Cheerios!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your maiden attempt! They look good on the 1st attempt.

Carrie said...

Hi Anonymous,

Thank you for the compliment!

CHeerios!