Friday, March 6, 2009

Double Chocolate Mint Cookie

Bake some cookies for B.. As a gift!

Bake some cookies for him.. Yes, He likes crunchy chocolate cookies.. So I used Gina's (Kitchen Capers) Double chocolate mint cookie recipe, but I made some modifications to it to suit B's tastebuds..


My apologies for the blurred pictures.. It was taken by B.. I forgot about taking pictures, and I only remember that when I reach home at night, so I quickly smsed B and ask him to take a pic for me..

Hmm.. I have no idea on how to describe the cookie... it wasn't insanely crunchy like Famous Amos, but the crunchy-ness is good enough coming mainly from the nuts and chocolate chips.

It has a distinct fragrance cos the itchy hand of mine added some drops of coffee emulco and vanilla essence. I read from a tread in KC (by stephanie) saying that in famous amos cookies, they beat the eggs with coffee oil (which I don't have, so replace with some drops of emulco) and vanilla essence to get the special fragrance that is "so special yet couldn't tell what is it from".

This recipe also uses crushed peppermint sweets (polo), but trust me, I really cannot taste the mint at all, maybe the mint fragrance is being musked by the vanilla+coffee combination.. If I'm trying it out again, I would use fisherman's friend sweets which are really very minty..

The ones that are highlighted in Red are the changes that I've made to the original recipe

Double Chocolate Mint Cookies

Ingredients

115g butter
180g self-raising flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
80g castor sugar (I use 10g)
50g light brown sugar (I use 80g)
1 egg (I beat the egg with coffee emulco and vanilla essence and left it to stand for 1 hr)
1 tube polo mints (I use 1.5 tube)
1 cup chocolate chips
0.5 cup almond nuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
3 tbsp gound almond


Methods

  1. Crush polo mints in a bag. ( I suggest not to crush it till powder form)
  2. Cream butter and sugar till creamy.
  3. Add in eggs to beat till well mixed.
  4. Turn off mixer and fold in flour, chocolate powder, chocolate chips, nuts, and crushed mints.
  5. Line baking tray with baking paper.
  6. Use a piping bag to squeeze out tiny spots on the paper. (I couldn't pipe out nicely, so I roll a tsp of dough and flatten them slightly)
  7. Bake in preheated oven 180C for 15minutes.
  8. Remove and cool completely on wire rack.

I seriously salute Gina, and any other people that can pipe out cookies nicely... Cos I seriously can't do that, I will end up with dough that looks like sh*t.. Literally the shape I mean.. Any tips from the pros out there in the cyber world?? I wanna achieve the famous amos style cookies as well!


But nevertheless, B commented that he love this cookie, he said its very nice! But personally next time round I wanna leave in small bits of crushed mint.. I'm sure it would taste heavenly!

No comments: