Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Happy Chinese New Year!

First and forth most, let me wish all the chinese (and of course non-chinese) a HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!!



I spent my 2 days of holidays wisely and did not waste any seconds, hehe! Went to visit lots of relatives, and some of them I only meet them once a year, catch up with my cousins and chat with them through out the night.. Just like how we use to play together, so fun!



Well anyway, the day before the eve of CNY, I baked a orange chiffon cake for my mum, as she needs it for prayers.



I use to make lousy chiffon cakes, sometimes they shrinks, some are soggy and wet, some are dense and some are really tough and dry. I always thought that it might be due to overbaking, underbaked or incorrect folding technique.. but it never occurs to me that it's due to the usage of wrong chiffon pan..



I usually use those mini chiffon pans (from Daiso), so this time round, I use a chiffon tin pan (23cm), and boy, the outcome of the cake turns out to be fabulous! Absolutely soft, fluffy, spongy and not dry at all..



The distribution of the air bubbles are very even and no lumps of egg whites could be seen! Previously, I was afraid that I might over-fold it, so I just fold for a short while so after baking, I could see lumps of eggs.



This time round I uses Florence's orange chiffon recipe, should give it a try as its really fragrant! Hehe!


Presenting to you my ORANGE CHIFFON CAKE!










ORANGE CHIFFON CAKE



Ingredients


115g cake flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
85ml warm orange juice
zest of an orange
60ml cornoil
1/2 tsp vanilla essence


5 egg yolks + 30g castor sugar + 1/4 tsp salt
5 egg whites + 50g castor sugar + 1/2 tsp cream of tartar


Methods
  1. Sieve cake flour and baking powder.
  2. Whisk egg yolk, sugar and salt till light and creamy, add in orange juice and oil, stir to mix.
  3. Add in flour mixture and zest and mix lightly.
  4. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy (big bubbles), and add in castor sugar in 2 batches. Beat till stiff peak (approx 8-10mins).
  5. Gently fold in egg whites in 2 batches and bake in preheated 175C oven for 45mins.


Verdict from my family members is that the cake is very fragrant, and even better than those that sell from the cake shop! Hehee! (Hope they are not lying..)


This recipe is definitely a keeper! I've alr printed it out nice and slide into my recipe folder! Hehehe! I know for sure I'll bake this again real soon!

No comments: